Shows I Go To: Top 10 hats at Big Guava Music Festival 2014
[Editor's note: Big Guava Music Festival was three packed days of music out in Florida's extreme pre-summer weather, giving people more than one reason to hold onto their hats for the ride to Tampa. Our blogger Mitch Foster couldn't help but notice some standouts among the capped music crusaders, and thus, Orlando Music News presents the top 10 hats at Big Guava Music Festival.]
10. Skateboards & Palm trees on a bucket hat during Sleigh Bells! This was the second hat I photographed.
9. Classy Panama hat. This was elegant and effective. No sunburn here, while keeping it cool and fashionable. Oh, and then there’s a middle finger to offset the class while Timeflies freestyles in the background.
8. Aye agree with this captain’s hat blocking the sun while Walk the Moon performs in the background.
7. This old straw hat littered with duct tape definitely makes the countdown while Grouplove screams in the back. Either it has seen a lot of days in the sun and it’s simply being held together by the greatest tape in the world, or it’s a feeble fashion statement attempt.
6. I’m not sure which I like more here, the fedora or the gold chains! She takes No. 6 while watching Morning Parade rock out.
5. Flowers and Tegan and Sara. “Hey man, if I get lost, just look for the bright flowers!” is what I imagined this dude saying to his friends.
4. HAIM and frogs. How did he preserve this hat from 1991?! Or should I say, “1991 called and they want their hat back!” This is something I would have had in elementary school and EVERYONE would have wanted to try it on.
3. Reagan vs. Bush ‘84 with Sleigh Bells in the back … Really dude?!? The color of the hat is flawless, even after all those years. Could this be a reprint? It would be wayyy cooler if it’s an original.
2. How did this dude find a Rugrats hat!? It seems you can get anything on the Internet these days. This is more like a sweet thrift-store find, though. Either way, Chuckie and Tommy cheesin’ it up made it to No. 2 while Mark Foster from Foster the People casts spells in the background.
1. OK, it’s a fucking cowboy hat to start out with. Then it has a Rastafarian colored do-rag tied around the top. And to really seal the deal, it has a purple bow on it! It’s like this person was saying “I’m a stoner cowboy that also likes to look pretty.”
Q: I thought my hat was cool, why didn’t it make the list?
A: Your hat wasn’t cool enough. Yes, I saw every hat at Big Guava. These were cooler.
Q: Did you really see EVERY hat at Big Guava?
Mitch Foster runs an Orlando music blog Shows I Go To, where he documents the shit out of his favorite aspects of the local music scene.