Charlie Crist is born again…
“I love Florida. I love it with all of my heart,” said a decidedly warm and fuzzy former-Republican-governor-turned-Independent-Senatorial-candidate-turned-Democratic-gubernatorial-candidate Charlie Crist as he finally announced his not-so-secret candidacy from a scenic bay in his hometown of St. Petersburg this morning. We were there scratching out notes and recording things (ergo, just this one picture of Charlie bowing his head in prayer), and we’ll be covering his candidacy extensively in the Nov. 13 issue of ver Weekly. A couple of bits you should know:
- Soundtrack included Springsteen’s “We Take Care of Our Own” and “The Rising,” U2’s “City of Blinding Lights” and “Beautiful Day,” and everything else you remember from every Democratic rally in 2008 or 2012. Charlie jumped on stage to “Centerfield” by John Fogerty. PUT ME IN COACH, INDEED!
- There weren’t many protesters, despite what people are reporting (because fairness, or something). We say maybe three. Oh, and the Republicans made Charlie “fans” that said that “Charlie Crist is a fan of whatever you want him to be,” which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, or much of a point. HE’S A POLTICIAN WHO WILL DO WHAT YOU WANT? Here’s what they look like. The bowtie is awesome.
- Charlie’s wife Carole is a spirit finger machine. Seriously, every consonant from his mouth is a hand movement in her choreography. It is something to behold.
- “I do believe in cutting taxes,” he said, but mostly for the middle class and small businesses, BECAUSE HE’S A DEMOCRAT NOW, PEOPLE.
- Expect to hear a lot about education, because Charlie is the guy from Educationland and teachers love that. One teacher next to me actually hisssssssed when Rick Scott’s name and education-reputation was brought up. Then she laughed and punched me in the shoulder. Oh, politics.
- Uh, yeah, he’s aware that Rick Scott’s about to unleash the $100 million beast on him to try to convince you that he is a shapeshifting tanball of dope, but he thinks you’re smarter than that.
- Yay, John Morgan’s kids were there! (One of them is getting married this weekend! WE ARE SO INSIDE RIGHT NOW!)
- Charlie is good at attacking Rick Scott on substance (seriously, MEDICARE FRAUD, PEOPLE!), but not very good at mentioning Nan Rich. That might be a good thing. But we got to thinking that because Democratic opponent Rich isn’t getting too many column inches or TV minutes, she’s probably going to benefit from the Charlie announcement; SO MANY PRESS MENTIONS. Let’s see what she does with the new noise.
- We’ll save the rest for later. We have a story to write.