Offal, it’s ON: Chef Tony Adams launches Kennebec, Orlando’s first pop-up restaurant
Chef Tony Adams and his tireless Big Wheel Provisions team announce Kennebec, an adventurous restaurant that will pop up in the Urban ReThink space March 19-23. Though Orlando has had a few great pop-up dinners in the past few years—notably, Big Wheel’s fabulous 2010 performance-slash-meal, pulled off in a downtown residential loft—this is the first multi-night pop-up restaurant we’re aware of in Orlando.
Kennebec will serve a different menu each night, with the emphasis on local ingredients and meat that BWP fans have come to expect: creative charcuterie is a Big Wheel specialty, as is the use of “variety cuts,” the lesser-used parts of the animal sometimes called offal. The Kennebec is a river that flows through Adams’ Maine hometown, but the dishes here will focus on the Southern flavors that he’s developed in his years in Orlando, while also playing on some of the fan favorites from the Big Wheel food truck (including mine, the octopus with chickpea ragout!). Some menu highlights:
• Fromage du Tête of Pasture Prime Berkshire Pork with Yellow Mustard, Bitter Greens, Yalaha Bakery Basler
• Ft. Pierce Bay Scallop Crudo with Fennel Pollen, Backyard Citrus
• Braised Gulf Octopus with Moroccan Chickpea Ragout, Ras el Hanout, Dansk Farms Honey, Crème Fraiche
• Braised Local Chicken Thighs with House Smoked Local Berkshire Bacon Lardons, Wild Foraged Mushrooms, Crispy Farro, Rapini
• Kennebec Shrimp and Grits with Cape Canaveral Pink Shrimp, House Smoked Tasso Ham, Double Cream
• Crispy Skinned Titusville Long Line Bluefish with Heirloom Waterkist Tomato, Preserved Local Meyer Lemon, Crème Fraiche, Fregola
Brent Hernandez of Redlight Redlight will collaborate with the BWP team for Kennebec’s beer pairings; other collaborations with local artists, food producers, and sommeliers will be announced. Saturday night’s finale dinner will feature a prix fixe menu rather than à la carte, with a single seating limited to 50 diners ($90 per person, $40 for wine pairing with the meal).
Kennebec will be open 6 to 8:30 pm Tuesday, March 19, through Saturday, March 23, at Urban ReThink (625 E. Central Blvd). Reservations (strongly recommended) can be made by visiting KennebecRestaurant.com. More information on Big Wheel Provisions’ Facebook Page, facebook.com/BigWheelTruck. Follow the restaurant on Twitter: @kennebecorlando